Church of the Good Shepherd
“Somehow the setting and the church combine to speak of God to those who enter and pause in the midst of their busy lives.” – Peter Hurricks
The Church of the Good Shepherd is situated on the shores of Lake Tekapo amongst the natural beauty of the lake and the mountains.
Built to the glory of God the Church also serves as a memorial to the pioneers of the Mackenzie Country.
The foundation stone was laid by H.R.H. the Duke of Gloucester, on January 15th, 1935. The completed Church was dedicated by the Bishop of Christchurch, Dr Campbell West-Watson, on August 3rd, 1935. The Vicar of the Parish at the time was the Rev. W.E.D. Davies, and the architect, Mr R.S.D. Harman.
The builders of the Church were instructed that the site was to be left undisturbed, and that even the matagouri bushes surrounding the building were to remain. Rocks which happened to be on the wall line were not to be removed. The stones for the wall were to be procured from within a radius of five miles of the site, and were to be unchipped and in their natural condition.
The Church of the Good Shepherd is interdenominational and services are held regularly throughout the year. Visitors from all over the world gather together in Christian Worship to sing and pray together. All are welcome join us for the service (usually 1 hour).
Sunday Worship & Communion - 4pm
Sunday Mass (last Sunday of the month) - 6pm
Christmas Eve - 9pm
Christmas Day - 11am
CHURCH OPENING HOURS
Summer: 9am - 8pm
Winter: 9am - 5pm
The church may be closed if it is raining heavily or snowing.